Thursday, December 18, 2008

Nativity

O.k. So I finally got my Nativity up. It seems like that may have been the cause for much of my stress. I just don't feel right unless it is up.It is the reason for the season after all. Not only for me, but I want my kids to know. In the years past I have been able to put it up and each year a different kid seems to be interested or around. Each year it seems to be some one on one time with a different kid. This year it was Eli. He was the only one home and I asked if he wanted to help me put it up. He didn't know what I meant by "Nativity" So it spiked his interest. Anyway I told him the rules. Like certain Christmas songs had to play, Only I could unwrap them but he got to choose where he thought they would've stood. (With suggestions and guidance from me) I told him about what role each character played in the event. It seemed like each time I got a new piece out I would say "This one is my favorite" And tell him why. Then he would say "Oh, mine too.- Where is the baby Jesus." Jesus was of course the last one out. He was so excited and loved listening to the story. I am so glad I got the opportunity to share this with him. I have had a chance with each of my Kids through the years and always fill the spirit so strong. I also got to tell the story of how I got the Nativity that we have. I searched and searched for what I thought was the perfect Nativity. I don't think we had any children yet. I couldn't find one anywhere. I refused to buy one until I fell in love with one. Anyway, we were as poor as church mice and I decided to go to a craft fair down the street from where we lived. There is was! It was $60. It was such a stretch for us to afford it but I had tried so hard to find one. I knew I needed to get it. There were only two that this lady had made. So I went and got Chris and we decided to buy it even though we couldn't afford it. Turns out I got a steal of a deal. Similar ones go for much more than that. But to me, it is priceless and I have received much more than the $60.00 we payed all those years ago.- Back to the original story. After we set it up we sat there and listened to music and cuddled. Sounds kind of cheesy but it made my whole Christmas. A little while later I saw him put a piece of paper in the nativity. When I went to look closer he had made the word Joy (with the j backwards) out of holes from a hole punch. Behind our Nativity I have the word Joy in wooden letters. I guess he just wanted to be a part of that and show his love by making something to add.

5 comments:

Kerrie said...

Have you ever seen grandma's? She hasn't put it out in years, but I think it's very similar. I don't the the picture is kind of dark and that fact that I haven't seen grandma's in a while (which I think might actually be my moms. ???). But she used to set it up the same way. With the lights and cotton stuff or what ever it was. It is a very nice nativity. And I'm sure when ever people come over they complement on it. It's very different than what most people have in their homes.

Kaycee said...

We love Nativity scenes 'round these parts! Ask my mom how many she has....

Thanks for sharing that story. I appreciated the reminder of what Christmas is really about.

Christy said...

I liked the story! It was a nice follow up to your previous post. Eli's such a cute little guy! And that is a beautiful nativity!

The Amayesings said...

AWWWW! What a warm and fuzzy time. Thanks for sharing it w/me!

Cindy Ardis said...

I'm kindof late getting this comment out but I just had to respond. That was a beautiful story. You are such a great mom and creating great memories with your kids. It's a beautiful nativity, I can see why you love it.